Pages

Greetings

You are welcome to my grammar learning blog.

Friday, September 23, 2011

LEARNING TO CHANGE NARRATION/SPEECH

Narration/Speech

Imperative sentence

Read the following sentence:

Direct:      He said to me," Let me go out."
Indirect:   He told me that he might go out.
Direct:     Hasan said to her, "Let him say whatever he likes."
Indirect:   Hasan told her that he maight say whatever he liked.

Structure:

Direct:      subj. +reporting verb (say) +obj."Let +subj.+verb+ext."

Indirect:    subj.+tell/ask+obj. +subj.+might +verb+ext.

Read the bellow sentence:

Direct:      He said to me, "Let us go out."
Indirect:    He proposed to me that we should go out
              Or  He proposed to/suggested me going out.
Direct:      She said to him, "Let us play."
Indirect:    She proposed to/suggested her that they should play.
              Or  She proposed to/suggested her playing.

Structure:

Direct:      subj.+reporting verb (say) +obj., "Let +us +verb +ext."

Indirect:    subj.+propose to/suggest +obj. +that +we/they +should+verb +ext.

            Or    subj.+propose to /suggest +obj. +verb-ing +ext.

Read the bellow sentence:

Direct: He said to them," Friends,help me."
Indirect: Addressing them as friend ,he requested/told them to help him.
Direct: The old lady said to us, "Fathers,show me the way."
Indirect: Addressing us as father,the old lady requested/told us to show her the way.

Structure:

Direct:          subj. +reporting verb (say) +obj., "Vocative case, verb+ext."
Indirect:        Addressing +obj. +as +vocative case , subj.+tell/request +obj. +to +verb +ext.

No comments:

Post a Comment